As mentioned on the official Indian Visa website (https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/index.html), “All foreign nationals entering India are required to possess a valid international travel document in the form of a national passport with a valid visa obtained from an Indian Mission or Post abroad”.
The tourist visa, which you will need to enter India as a tourist, can be obtained in two different ways:
- Through an Indian embassy or consulate abroad, which will decide the duration of your visa (usually and for most nationalities it is 6 months with multiple entries). First you will have to fill an online application, then you will have to print this application, alongside some photos and cash, and submit it (personally or through courier) to the Indian embassy or consulate in the country where you are (not necessarily your home country). They will process your request and issue your tourist visa in a few working days or weeks. The procedure and requirements are different according to your nationality and according to the country where you are applying, so we will not provide detailed information about this particular procedure. Anyway, if you need to be assisted during this phase, do not hesitate to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be glad to help you.
- E-Visa (RECOMMENDED!): this is obtained entirely online, it has a duration of 2 months with two entries, it is not extendable and it does not allow you to enter Sikkim.
This said, even if it has some more restrictions, we suggest you to apply for an E-Visa: it is cheaper (about half of the other one) and the procedure is smoother and faster. You will only have to fill a form online, pay online, and then wait for an e-mail confirmation.
Here below is a guide written by us for the E-Visa procedure.
If you will be applying for the E-Visa, here’s the official website: https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/Registration
Before proceeding, make sure you have:
- A passport valid for at least 6 months beyond your departure date
- A digital copy of a passport sized photo 5×5, not heavier than 1 MB and
- A scanned copy of your passport’s information page, max dimensions 300 KB and .pdf
Once all is ready, you have to visit the official website (https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/evisa/tvoa.htm) and click on the top-left orange button marked “E- Visa Application”.
The first step is to fill a form with your personal data and passport, specifying that you’re applying for an E-Tourist Visa.
Then, you will have to fill out forms regarding your parent’s and your eventual spouse’s personal data, info regarding your job, countries visited in the last 10 years, the reason of your visit to India and, if you’ve already been there, which are the cities you have visited, how long you’re going to stay, which itinerary you will be following and where you are going to stay.
Under “Any other valid passport/ Identity certificate (IC) held” click “NO” if you do not have any other ongoing passport or particular certificates.
Going ahead, you will have to fill the field “Reference name in India”: here you can type the name of the first hotel where we will be staying, which will be provided once you sign up to the tour. Also its phone number will be provided.
Once the written part is done, you will be asked to upload the scan of the passport sized photo that you previously prepared and, right after, the scan of your passport.
During those steps, details will be reiterated (files dimension, extension).
As soon as you finish to upload everything and click “Confirm”, you’ll get a recap of the filled form. We invite you to read it carefully, in order to avoid any mistake.
Once everything is confirmed, you will be assigned an Application ID which is needed to recover the file online and to check the status by linking this website https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/evisa/StatusEnquiry
At this point, you will be requested to proceed with the payment (which can be made at the latest within 4 hours from the filling of the form, otherwise all the data will be lost)
We recommend you to pay attention during this step as, after 3 unsuccessful attempts, the file will be lost and the Application ID as well (which means that you have to start anew).
Confirmation of Visa will be sent within 72 hour to the email address you provided.